I've been in many closets recently where the dry cleaning is still in the plastic bags hanging on the wire hangers. Some of these outfits have been in the bags for months, even years! Most are special occasion outfits that are only worn once in a great while.
Here are 7 reasons you should never store your clothes in the plastic dry cleaning bags:
1. The plastic bags cause oxidation which leads to discoloration of the clothes.
2. The plastics bags will cause stains and odors.
3. The damp environment in the bag will be a breeding ground for moths, which will eat through your clothes.
4. The bags cause yellowing and weakening of the fibers of the clothes.
5. Wire hangers will rust and ruin your clothes.
6. Wire hangers will also ruin the shape of your clothing.
7. Clothes need to breathe and they cannot breathe in a plastic bag.
If you need to store clothing in a garment bag, you can purchase cotton garment bags. Cotton garment bags are sold at the Container Store, Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, etc. Check online to see the best deals and the ones that suit your needs.