Why is the basement the room in the house that gets the brunt of all the clutter. Is it because we can't find a home for the clutter upstairs so we just say "put it in the basement"!
Basements are a hot spot for clutter for many people. Old photos, school memorabilia, tools, odds and ends, seasonal clothes, holiday decorations, appliances, laundry and the list goes on and on.
Here are 7 tips to get your basement organized.
1. Organize, label, and keep your memorabilia in waterproof bins. (You never know when the basement might flood)
2. Portable shelving units or enclosed shelving units are great for storing items like appliances, odds and ends, etc. depending on what you have in your basement.
3. As far as tools go, purchase a tool organizer or get creative with bins. Take inventory of what tools you have and purchase bins that will accomodate the tools. Same goes for small items like nails, screws, etc. Organize in small containers, maybe recycled containers you get when you purchase prepared food at the supermarket.
4. If your laundry room is downstairs, keep a small shelving unit close by to store detergent, fabric softener, etc. Create a workstation for your laundry.
5. The key is to go through the entire basement and figure out what you can get rid of and what you want to keep. Ask yourself, "When was the last time I used this and will I ever use this again?"
6. Keep like categories together and label everything.
7. Try to keep the basement as neat as possible. Why are basements always messy?
Don't treat your basement as a drop spot for things you can't find homes for in other areas of the house. Do you really need all the stuff you have in the basement? Is it time to re-evaluate? Treat the basement as you would any other room in the house. Don't let it be a clutter drop zone!